“A platform specifically designed to help you say yes to the things you want while keeping you out of unhealthy debt”
|Founded: 2012 in California, USA
Category: Financial Technology
Primary office: San Francisco, CA
Core technical team: San Francisco, CA
Amount raised: $1 billion (7 rounds – April 2019)
- Consumer Loan/Product purchase financing
- Travel Finance
- Installment loans
- Partners with over 2000 merchants including Walmart, Expedia, Cheap Air, etc. to provide online/point of sale loans to customers.
- Partners with several e-commerce platform such as Shopify, Big commerce, Zen cart, etc.
- Current CEO, Max Levchin, also Pay-Pal co-founder
- Launched Consumer App to allow for financing at any retailer
- Leverages Big Data Analytics, including social media and customer shopping pattern, to determine credibility
- Thousands of merchants
- 4,000 Wal-Mart supercenters across USA
- Underwriting bank
- App that allows customers to shop at virtually any store and split payments
- Omni-channel partnership with merchants
- Zero to very low Annual Percentage Rate (APR) offered to customers on most products/merchants
- Outsourced customer service to 24/7 agency, with readily accessible customer resolution/sign up service
- Expand Customer Operations Presence
- Consistent Customer Trust and reliability
- Grow Highly-talented workforce
Assertions That Best Describe What the Company Did to Scale Early, Rapidly & Securely
- Increase sales by applying big-data analytics to produce information about users, suppliers and customers
- Outsource infrastructure management to increase profit
- Increase the company’s value by continuously seeking and receiving funding to support the company’s plan to scale and improve its image in the marketplace.
- Increase value by arranging and directing a community comprised of groups that are external and internal to the company and connect everything needed to scale.
- Enter a new market by partnering with or purchasing local firms to increase sales
- Develop and sell products that address a problem, job to be done or a need that is shared by a large and growing number of individuals and organizations in various regions to increase sales.
- Increase value by being responsible and accountable for creating and making visible the quantifiable benefits the company delivers its stakeholders, including customers, partners, investors, members of the company’s value chain, society and others.
- Increase market share by selling products and services that the target market perceives to be better than available alternatives
- Affirm website. https://www.affirm.com/
- Alley, S. (2018). ‘PayPal Co-founder: Tech is still where Innovation is’. [online] CNBC News. Available at: https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/12/18/paypal-co-founder-tech-where-innovation-affirm-technology-online-lender-trump.html
- CNBC (2019). ‘Meet the 2019 CNBC disruptor companies. [online] CNBC News. Available at:
- Crunchbase (2019). Affirm. https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/affirm#section-overview
- Owler (2019). Affirm. https://www.owler.com/company/affirm
- Agar, I. (2019). ‘Affirm scores $300m Series F at reported $2.9billion valuation’. [online] Pitchbook. Available at: https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/affirm-scores-300m-series-f-at-reported-29b-valuation
- Walmart News (2019). Affirm and Wal-Mart announce Omnichannel partnership. [online] Available at: https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/2019/02/27/affirm-and-walmart-announce-omnichannel-partnership
- Yinka Olanrewaju-Olawepo
- Dan Craigen
- Tony Bailetti